Take a look at these medical professional strange images:
Bordertown. Bordertown former Congregational Church opened in 1880. Parish formed in 1874. Porched added 1924. Now used by a funeral business.
< img alt=" doctor odd" src=" http://blog.filmfangear.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/10603755315_a271dd5a71.jpg" width=" 400"/ > Image by< a href=
" http://www.flickr.com/photos/82134796@N03/10603755315" > denisbin Bordertown: regional capital.
Unlike Mundulla, Bordertown was surveyed as part of the Gold Escort Route and not in response to the statement of the Tatiara Agricultural choice area in 1872. Bordertown was surveyed in 1852 after conversation in between the Property surveyor– General and Inspector Tolmer of the Gold Escort service. They picked a website near a well, on the banks of Tatiara Creek and on Cannawigara Station close to Mr Scott’ woolshed. Significantly they wanted a town website near the Victorian border. They surveyed a grid town with North, South, East and West terraces and streets named after local pastoralists- McLeod, Binnie, Scott and Woolshed after Scott’s woolshed! The town was to be a half way depot for the Gold Escort service. Of the 104 town lots marketed only 10 offered and they were to Mr Scott and two speculators. More offered later but nobody purchased land to establish or use. In 1854 2 policemans were stationed at Bordertown and a little police headquarters was developed and a police paddock for their horses etc developed. They were the only residents in Bordertown. In 1856 a shop keeper got here and opened a shop in the town and the first home was built. Then in 1859 a block was bought for a hotel, the Woolshed Inn and the first hotel certified. Later in 1865 the publican took over the shop too. The population of Bordertown was not growing! A new police headquarters was developed in 1863 and in 1867 a regional committee erected a little wooden school room. The town had a few homeowners just but the surrounding stations had more. This was the circumstance in Bordertown when the Tatiara Agricultural Location was stated in 1872. As so little advancement had actually happened in the town a new town was surveyed and created. The new town surveyed in 1871 had a surrounding parkland belt and rural blocks of land beyond that. With time the suburban blocks were all converted into 1/4 acre residential plots.
However one other resident of the district needs discussing. In 1859 the owners of the primary local stations Cannawigara, Wirrega, Nalang and Padthaway got together and decided they required the services of a doctor which they would encourage Dr Penny to take up residence in or near Bordertown. Dr Cent had practiced in Bathrobe given that 1851 and the station owners offered him a fixed annual earnings to move to Bordertown. Dr Cent chose a website beyond the town, nearer to Mundulla for his home site which he called Charla. A block of land was drawn from Binnie’s Wirrega station. Cent began developing a substantial stone house in 1861 which was not finished until 1865. Behind the stone home was a wooden slab kitchen. Dr Penny had 40 acres of gardens and stabling for his horses around the home. With such enhancements Dr Penny desired the freehold for his land. Unique authorization had to be acquired for a survey not within among the hundreds. In 1865 George Goyder authorised and performed the survey himself of a 38 acre block for Dr Penny. It became section among the Hundred of Tatiara in later years. Dr Penny practised from Charla up until his death in 1887. The Penny’s had purchased freehold selector lands in the 1870s and his household remained at Charla and on this residential or commercial property until 1968.
When the farmers moved into the Hundred of Tatiara and the rural population increased so did the municipality of Bordertown as a major service centre. The town grew gradually but surely up until the 1950s when it was boosted further with the AMP advancement of lands near Keith and the introduction of trace components to make the lands north of Bordertown productive pastoral nation. The 1950s were likewise boom years for both wool and wheat costs and farmer prosperity resulted in town development and prosperity. Regrettably it was also the time when so lots of early buildings were demolished and replaced with 1960s style structures. Today Bordertown has a population of 2,500 and many functions of a local centre such as saleyards, stock agents, state government offices, regional medical facility and assisted living home, high school, local abattoir, engineering works, fuel depots and so on
. Bordertown Historical Stroll.
Bordertown railway station. The rail lawns were hives of activity in the early years with wheat shops, two rail gauges, railway dam, interstate and local trains and stock lawns run by the major stock and station agents such as Senior Smith and Company. The first train station for guests was set up in 1883 however without a platform. This burnt down in a fire in 1889 and a wood replacement station, with platform opened in 1890. In turn this was changed by a great Art Nouveau American style stone train station in 1914.
Eudunda Farmers Cooperative Store. This group opened a general shop in 1936 as their 39 ninth shop in SA. They opened in an 1880s store which they renovated in 1940. The store was further modified in 1955 and totally revamped in 1987. In 1989 the Eudunda Farmers store relocated to another place in the town and ended up being the Foodland store and it still operates as an IGA grocery store.
Bordertown Hotel. It was certified early in 1869 in the western part of Bordertown however business struggled in the late 19th century. Lastly the hotel closed in 1893. Owners tried to get it relicensed for a number of years and were not effective up until 1898. They then bought a new site near the train station for ease of access by travellers and a brand brand-new 2 storey hotel opened in 1903. Its exterior is largely unchanged from that time.
1. Kid Care Centre/Kindergarten/Hospital.
Like a lot of nation towns Bordertown had several personal healthcare facilities, normally run by local nurses before the federal government hospital opened in 1924 as the Tatiara Soldiers Memorial Healthcare Facility. It was enlarged in 1926/27 to increase the size to over 30 beds. In 1967 a new healthcare facility was constructed with more than 42 beds. A 2 storey nurse’s home was constructed adjoining the healthcare facility in 1972. It is now the Charla Nursing House, named after the house of the district’s very first Physician, Dr Robert Cent. After World War 2 numerous SA communities wished to adopt the relatively brand-new pattern of having a town kindergarten for pre-school age children. After great deals of regional fund raising Bordertown opened a kindergarten in 1955 on the corner of Patterson Street. It is now the Child Care Centre.
2. Lutheran Church.
Lutheran church services started in Lutheran houses, performed by the Lutheran minister from Dimboola in Victoria, in the early 1930s. A Lutheran minister was stationed in Bordertown from 1939 however no church was developed at that time. A 2nd Lutheran synod likewise started regular Lutheran services in Bordertown from the late 1930s. At one stage Lutheran services were kept in the Methodist Church. In 1950 both congregations satisfied and decided to build a joint church for both synods and this was finished in 1953. Different Lutheran services were kept in the one church until formal amalgamation of the two synods in 1965 and the development of Trinity Lutheran church in 1967. The church was too small for the combined congregations therefore the 1953 church was demolished and changed with a grand new church in 1985.
3. Anglican Church.
Anglican services started in 1880 in Bordertown but the very first church was not opened up until 1887. A great stone rectory was set up beside the church in 1907. A vestry was included 1925 and a stone hall in 1961. Remarkably the church was not consecrated till a check out by the Anglican bishop in 1936. It is uncommon in that the entryway is now at the rear of the church.
4. Methodist/Uniting Church.
Wesleyan Methodist services started in Bordertown around 1882 but a church was not constructed up until 1887. An adjacent parsonage was built in 1897 but it has considering that been demolished and changed (1961.) A brand-new church hall was opened in 1963 and the old church has actually been much altered.
5. Masonic Lodge/Temple.
This strange looking structure in DeCourcey Street started as the Masonic Lodge. It was opened in 1926 after being developed by one of the local members. The Lodge was formed in Bordertown in 1911 and it satisfied for many years in the Institute structure. Keep in mind the pillar and curved brick entrance. By 1926 the Lodge had clearly chosen it was allowed to have windows dealing with the street. It had a large hall about 50 feet by 30 feet and a few conference and dinner rooms. It closed in 2008 and was sold in 2011. Note the balance of the façade; strong brick quoins and bricks across the roofing line to provide 2 identical almost square areas next to the entrance. It is a fascinating structure.
6. Churches of Christ.
The first home services of the churches of Christ began in the Tatiara in 1882 with the origins of their structure fund returning to 1890. A church opened at Carew in the Tatiara in 1899. The very first Bordertown church opened in 1905, developed by church members and a fine manse was completed in 1912. In 1953 a second church was constructed on their town land. This 1953 church is now used as a hall. The old 1905 church was demolished in 1963 and a new church of red brick changed it in 1965. It still serves the Churches of Christ community in Bordertown.
7. Previous Congregational Church.
The Congregational Church was erected 1880; the porch was added in 1924, and the hall was erected 1926. In 1966 a deck was included to link the church and the hall. Reverend David Milne was the first minister in this area. He checked out Bordertown in 1862 and held the first services in the Woolshed Inn. He lived in Kingston with his second other half with whom he had seven kids to match the 4 from his first marital relationship. He travelled routinely to the Bordertown district for lots of years up until he moved here with his household in 1873 after the Tatiara Agricultural Area was stated. He then continued with services and pressed for the erection of a Congregational Church which took another 7 years to accomplish. He likewise serviced the Congregational Church in Mundalla and in Cannawigara and other small settlements. He continued preaching and he carried out Congregational Missionary work up until 1910 when he died aged 83 years. The Congregational church closed when it amalgamated with the Methodist church to form the Uniting Church in Bordertown in 1971. It is now leased by the Naracoorte funeral service parlour.
8. Old School Room.
Bordertown Old Primary School. The local wooden school space opened in 1867 only to be replaced with a stone space in 1874. The Education Department added another couple of rooms to produce a T shaped school in 1884 as the school enrolments increased once the farmers got here in the Tatiara. When the government started up the very first nation high schools Bordertown was one of the very first when it opened in 1913 in the original 1874 classroom. The very first instructor in charge was a female but the high school closed in 1916 since of World War One. Couple of boys were left in the school as these more youthful ones needed to work full time on the household farms as older kids had gone to war. High school classes resumed in Bordertown in 1920 and two new class were contributed to the school for their usage in 1921. The revamped high school ended up being a Greater Primary School in 1922. From 1939 the Greater Main classes inhabited the 1884 classrooms in addition to the 1921 spaces. In 1959 the federal government decided to separate the primary and high schools and the main school transferred to a new school website in 1971. The old school complex is used as club rooms for several town organisations.
9. Old Catholic Church.
Bordertown was added to the Catholic parish of Penola from its first surveying in 1852. After the 1872 farm choice act the parish priests from Penola went to more frequently. Catholic services in Bordertown began at the Woolshed Inn in 1881. A foundation stone for a Catholic Church was laid in 1883 and opened in 1884. This outstanding church still stands albeit as a private home. The limestone walls are an outstanding 22 inches thick. The very first resident priest for Bordertown arrived in 1939.
10. New Catholic Church.
When the first priest showed up in 1939 he acquired five acres of land for a Catholic School which was eventually developed. The priest worked on developing his own presbytery and it was completed in 1954 beside the church. A brand-new St. Mary’s Catholic Church as opened in 1969. The old church was utilized as a hall for a long time.
11. Council Workplaces.
The original Council Chamber for the district remained in Mundulla. It closed in 1904 when the stone and brick chamber opened in Bordertown. This fine old building was demolished in 1959 when the brand-new Council Workplaces were opened. A more 2 storey structure was added in 1978. Outside of the Council Workplaces is a bust of Prime Minister Robert Hawke contributed in 1987 and unveiled by Bob Hawke’s daddy who went back to the town where he had actually formerly served. In the foyer of the Council Workplaces is a painting of Hawke in the Hawke Gallery. The Council has an art gallery.
12. Old Institute and current Library.
Bordertown Institute. A regional committee was formed and after several years of discussions and fund raising an institute was opened in 1878. Prior to this the library facility had actually been located in the 1867 school class till the Education Department took over that school and wished to charge high leas for the library space. The Institute was increased in size and a new façade and brand-new front spaces in the classical style with a grand pediment were included 1909. The Premier of the day Mr Peake opened the new Institute. Yet another brand-new institute hall was opened in 1960 once again with the opening ceremony by the Premier of the day who was Sir Thomas Playford on that occasion. The extensions included a brand-new town library. Lots of organisations held their meetings here and it was also the location of numerous personal and official town functions. A theatre was contributed to the Institute/Library complex in 1982.
13. Hawke House.
This building opened in 1888 as the very first nationwide Bank in Bordertown. In 1897 it was offered to the Congregational Church as a manse and much later Prime Minister Bob (or Robert) Hawke was born here in December 1929. Most likely he was developed here too as Clement and Ella Hawkes occupied this manse in 1928. The Reverend Hawke left Bordertown in 1935 and Bob Hawke started school at Maitland Main School on Yorke Peninsula. The Hawkes left Maitland in 1939 and relocated to Perth. Bob Hawke then undertook his secondary education at Perth Modern School before going on to the University of Western Australia. The school developed in 1911 is a federal government school for academically gifted students. Hawke Home is now owned by the Uniting Church and utilized as a welfare centre. Reverse Hawke House is the Apex Park which was initially designated as McLaren Place by the surveyor of the town in 1852 who was John McLaren. Try to find the sculpture done by Bordertown High School trainees in 1999 and the mural done by Bordentown Primary School students in 1996. The mural on the Library wall was done by the High School trainees.
14. Woolshed Inn.
This was the very first hotel certified in Bordertown in 1859 and it was so called since it was close to John and Charles Scott’s woolshed for their Cannawigara station. In 1882 the early structures were added to with a new single floor hotel. As styles and interests changed the Woolshed Inn ended up being the Tatiara Hotel in 1927 however it went back to the historical Woolshed Inn name in 1969. The original 1859 structure with its 12 paned window can be seen in the backyard of the current hotel.
15. Police/Information Centre/Tolmer Park.
This area was originally the cops paddock from 1854. Cops have actually always been stationed on the corner. The toilets are called the Old Gaol however there was never a gaol, only a number of cells in conjunction with the authorities station which was usual in any nation towns. The Details Centre is here and inside you can see the front of the old authorities station integrated in 1930. The very first authorities building was erected early in 1854- a mere shack. In 1863 the very first correct police headquarters costing ₤ 300 was constructed. In 1930 another brand-new police station was developed and the 3rd station was put up in 1963. The old 1863 station was then destroyed and the 1930 station was developed into a police house. In 1983 the 4th authorities station was opened along the street. The old cops paddock is now Tolmer Entertainment Park. It was fenced in 1857 to stop the cannon fodders’ horses from straying. The last Gold Escort service left here in December 1853. The police were then by themselves with little to do. Try to find the white kangaroos which have actually been reproduced from a single white male gotten in 1980 on the road to Melbourne and check out the information boards around Tolmer Park.
Image from page 262 of “Some unusual corners of our nation; the wonderland of the Southwest” (1908 )
< img alt=" medical professional weird" src=" http://blog.filmfangear.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/14584344848_6034565441.jpg" width=" 400"/ > Image by< a href=" http://www.flickr.com/photos/126377022@N07/14584344848"
> Web Archive Book Images Identifier: somestrangecorners00lumm Title: < a href =" https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/tags/bookidsomestrangecorners00lumm" > Some unusual corners of our country; the wonderland of the Southwest Year:< a href=" https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/tags/bookyear1908" > 1908 (< a href=" https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/tags/bookdecade1900" > 1900s) Authors:< a href =" https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/tags/bookauthorLummis__Charles_Fletcher__1859_1928" > Lummis, Charles Fletcher, 1859-1928 Topics
: < a href=" https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/tags/booksubjectSouthwest__New____Description_and_travel" > Southwest, New– Description and travel
Publisher: < a href=" https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/tags/bookpublisherNew_York__The_Century_Co_" > New York, The Century Co.
. Contributing Library: < a href=" https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/tags/bookcontributorNew_York_Public_Library "> New york city Town Library
Digitizing Sponsor: < a href=” https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/tags/booksponsorMSN” > MSN View Book Page:< a href=" https://archive.org/stream/somestrangecorners00lumm/somestrangecorners00lumm#page/n262/mode/1up" rel=" nofollow" >
BookAudience About This Book:< a href=" https://archive.org/details/somestrangecorners00lumm" rel=" nofollow" > Brochure Entry View All Images:< a href= "https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/tags/bookidsomestrangecorners00lumm" > All Images From Book Click here to< a href=" https://archive.org/stream/somestrangecorners00lumm/somestrangecorners00lumm#page/n262/mode/1up" rel=" nofollow" > view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book. Text Appearing Before Image: ing are kept up all night, up until sun-rise ends
the celebration. All then repair to the estuf a j theBending Female puts the scalps back in their niche, coversit with a flat slab of stone, and seals it over with mud. The chief of the Cum-pa-huit-la-wen, after a solemn silence, states, Brothers, buddies, a roadway is provided you (that is, Youare totally free to depart ), and all file out, complimentary to break their longabstinence, and enjoy themselves up until the war-captain shallagain summon them to the field. Now that no fresh scalps have actually been obtained for so long, the old ones are still produced at a set time, and doduty, as the motivation of the Tu-a-fii-ar. Tins dance, how-ever, like a lot of the other old customs, is not so well keptup in Isleta as in some of the more remote pueblos whichhave not been so much impacted by ci dlization. The Tu-a-fii-ar which I witnessed here in the fall of 1891 was the firstthe Isletenos had actually had in 4 years, though it ought to be heldyearly. There was another in 1892. t Text Appearing After Image: DOCTORING THE YEAR. ilTH the Pueblo Indians the sick are not theonly ones in need of doctoring.
The medicine-men– those most crucial of Indian person-ages– have for patients not only sick peoplebut weU ones, as well as the crops and the wholeyears success. It would appear to a civilized doctor aridiculous affair to prescribe for the seasons and to feel thepulse of the corn-fields j but my aboriginal neighbors see noincongruity in it. On the contrary, they deem this profes-sional treatment of inanimate things as necessary a matter asthe care of the ill, and would have no hopes at aU for thesuccess of any year which was not duly offered at thestart by a most solemn dosage of medicine. Medication to an Indian has not merely the restrictedsense where we use it. Walir( the word used by the Tig-uas )implies nearly every influence of every sort that affectsthe human race. The Indian has no idea of blind chance orunintelligent forces. To him whatever is sentient; everyinfluence which Keep in mind About Images Please note that these images are drawn out from scanned page images that may have been digitally boosted for readability -coloration and look of these illustrations
might not perfectly resemble the initial work. IMG_6758. JPG< img alt =" physician weird "src=" https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1156/1264606877_16148cb2bd.jpg" width="400"/ > Image by